CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Weight Watchers

Michawn and I started Weight Watchers this week. I know most of you are probably saying “Why in the world would Gillian do Weight Watchers, she is already a toothpick.” The main reason I decided to do Weight Watchers is because I normally eat however much junk food I want when I want it. My main goal is not to loose weight, but to just develop a more healthy diet. This past Sunday I weighed in at 126 lbs. My weight has had a history. Not that it has ever been bad but it has fluctuated through the years. When I was in the eighth grade I was about 5’ 1” and weighted 102. During that year I started to get really bad migraines and had gone to my pediatrician several times with them. One time it was so bad she gave me two shots for the pain and it didn’t do that much. Prier to that migraine she put me on a prescription called Verapamil (not sure of the spelling). One of the side effects of this medicine was weight gain. I went from 102 to 125 in about 3 months. After the episode of the shots she referred me to a wonderful Pediatric Neurologist in Monroe, Dr. Pena. He has helped me so much with trying to control my migraines. The first time I went to him he kept me on Verapamil but ordered me to have an MRI done. The appointment after the MRI he told us that nothing showed up and that he wanted to take me off of Verapamil and put me on Topamax. By this time I was in the beginning of my 9th grade year. I had grown to be about 5” 3’ by now and was still weighing in at about 125-128. After I started taking Topamax I started to loose weight (weight loss was one of the side effects) and dropped back down to about 110. You can imagine how many clothes I went though throughout those few years with all that weight fluctuation. The Topamax did wonders for my migraines but every year in high school I would have to study harder than the previous and my GPA was dropping, not by much but it still dropped a little. We found out that memory loss was also a side effect to Topamax and before my Senior year I asked if he could change my meds to see if I could do better in school. So he put me on Inderal and my grades came back up to a 4.0, but anyhoo….this has turned into a headache post lol ;-) So back to Weight Watchers. I have never been overweight for my age and height and I have always ate what I wanted to when I want it no matter how unhealthy it is and I have never gained weight form it. But my thinking is that if I continue to eat like this then my body will be run down by the time in 30…..:-( and that would hinder me from being the Mother God has called me to be. So the whole point of this Weight Watchers is to develop more healthy eating habits and take more care of my body physically. I hope to get down to 120 lbs and then try to gain about 10 lbs of muscle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your post I thought to tell you to go out and get a copy of the book 7 Steps To A Healthy Brain by Dr. Paul Winner. Try the 7 Day meal planner that is in the book. It is not a diet book but discusses how diet affects your health and brain. Many migraine suffers are following this meal planner and supplementing with vitamins to alleviate their headaches.

Gillian Day Hough said...

I will have to check into it when I get home from Brazil. By the way whoever left that comment didnt sign with their name, but thanks anyway :-)

Anonymous said...

Losing 2 pounds and gaining 10 pounds of muscle sound good to me. I wonder how much muscle I need to gain?
Love you!
Aunt Nena

Gillian Day Hough said...

Well actually Aunt Nena I need to loose 6 lbs to get down to 120 and this week I lost 2 lbs but im not sure if I can hang in there. It is toucher to me to be on Weight Watchers. I gave in last night and ate about 6 pieces of pizza that Joel made. I was so delicious and then he wanted pancakes this morning and so I had four of those with syrup and they were dang good too. We have two parties tonight so there is no telling what I will eat tonight. So needless to say this has not helped me develop healthier eating habits. But maybe Monday I will start back and see if I can loose another 2 lbs in 3.5 days. Maybe I wont gain the 2 lbs back this weekend.

Love you too!